In an effort to make this parade season the best yet, below are helpful hints and information:
• Parade Routes (Krewe of Centaur and Krewe of Gemini) – parades start at Lake Street and Clyde Fant Parkway. The parades will proceed down Clyde Fant to Shreveport-Barksdale to E. Kings Highway. Parades end at E. Kings Highway and Preston.
• Street Closures – Clyde Fant Parkway (from Milam to Preston) will close at 7 PM on Friday, February 6th and Friday, February 13th. Clyde Fant reopens at 7 AM on parade mornings. At 8:30 AM, the portion of Clyde Fant from Milam to Lake will close for float staging. At 3:30 PM on parade days, all roads on the parade route will close: Clyde Fant from Lake to Preston, Shreveport-Barksdale from Clyde Fant to Youree, E. Kings Highway from Shreveport-Barksdale to E. Preston and E. Preston to Clyde Fant. Roads will reopen after the end of the parade and Shreveport Police Department deems it safe to open roadways.
• Viewing Areas – Parades start at corner of Lake Street and Clyde Fant Parkway. Floats are not allowed to throw anything prior to this starting point. All spots on Clyde Fant Parkway and other public right-of-ways are first-come-first-serve. Spots on E. Kings Highway (Duck Pond) are reserved. Any individual interested in reserving a spot for 2016 (signing up for lottery), contact SPAR Event Services at 318-673-5100.
• Portalets/Public Restrooms – portalets will be available for public use along the parade route. Any public use facility will be on city property. Private individuals are not authorized to place a portalet on public spaces until the morning of the parade. The restrooms next to Sci-Port will be open from 8 AM to 8 PM for both parades.
• Alcohol – alcohol may not be consumed nor sold in the Family Zone (area along Clyde Fant from south of railroad bridge to Stoner overpass). Per City Ordinance (attached), glass bottles and containers are not allowed within 200 feet of the parade route on parade days.
Other helpful items
o Clyde Fant Parkway, from Stoner to Shreveport-Barksdale, is divided into 11 zones. Zones are identified via signs on the light poles in the medians. This is to aid in any emergency needs and to help locate friends and family.
• For more information and the City Ordinances pertaining to parades (attached), see the 2015 Mardi Gras page on the SPAR website (http://www.shreveportla.gov/index.aspx?nid=407).
For more information on upcoming SPAR events, please visit www.myspar.org and like us on Facebook.