Originally called the Cross Lake Station, the city opened its one-million gallon per day treatment plant in 1930 at its present location on Blanchard Road. In June 1963, the expanded facility was renamed the Thomas L. Amiss Water Purification and Pumping Station in honor of Thomas L. Amiss who had served as superintendent for over 40 years.
From 1901 to 1963, Mr. Amiss was instrumental in the long term growth and vision of the Shreveport Water System.
Over the years, there have been numerous expansion and renovation projects to accommodate the growing population, as well as changes in drinking water regulations. Today, we are a Class IV water treatment facility with a 78 million gallon per day capacity.