Payment Assistance



In May 2001, the City established the Shreveport Water Assistance Program (SWAP).  This program is designed to aid and assist eligible households with water and sewer bill payments. Applicants may receive assistance with their water and sewer bills twice per year. To be eligible for assistance you must provide documentation to show that you are currently on the Food  Stamp Program, Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP), Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP), or is receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).  In order to determine eligibility, the agencies that administer the program for the City will consider the following:

  1. Require proper identification including driver’s license or picture I.D. card or some other acceptable means of identification.
  2. Require written documentation from the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services, Office of Family Support, which verifies applicant is currently on the Food Stamp Program, Family Independence Temporary Assistance Program (FITAP), Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), Kinship Care Subsidy Program (KCSP); and/or written documentation from the Social Security Administration which verifies applicant is currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
  3. To be eligible, an applicant must pay in full any outstanding returned payment(s), any existing deferred arrangement, and any unpaid fees.

Agencies currently administering SWAP:

Socialization Services9:00 am - 3:00 pm  Mon. - Thur.3017 W 70th Street318-671-5800
Caddo Community Action Agency8:00 am - 4:00 pm  Mon - Fri625 David Raines Rd.318-425-2401
Caddo Community Action Agency8:00 am - 4:00 pm  Mon - Fri1729 Ford Street318-222-2436

Once the eligibility criteria have been reviewed and approved by the agency, the applicant may request assistance for the payment of water and sewer bills at their place of residence as follows:

  1. Assistance may be approved for water and sewer bills, not to exceed two (2) months of billings.
  2. Assistance shall not be granted if the applicant has an outstanding balance on any account that has been closed for over 30 days or that has been turned over to collections.
  3. Assistance shall not be granted if it has been determined that theft of water has occurred at the place where assistance is requested.  
  4. If the plumbing at the service address does not meet building codes or if there are leaks resulting in extraordinarily high water and sewerage bills, repairs to the plumbing must be made before assistance is provided.  Once the repairs have been made, documentation in the form of an invoice shall be provided to the Department of Water and Sewerage – Customer Service Division.

City water and sewerage charges may be paid for approved applicants when they no longer live at the address indicated on the bill provided the applicant is obligated to pay the bill before the new service can be transferred and that the applicant’s request meets the requirements above.

              1.   If new service has been established, the applicant is required to show proof of payment of                                         

                     deposit within twenty-four (24) hours in order to maintain service.

              2.   Applicant’s failure to comply with proof of deposit payment will result in denial of assistance.

Agency Responsibilities

It is the responsibility of the agencies administering the program to submit a voucher to the City, Attention:  Department of Water   and  Sewerage – Customer Service Division, P. O. Box 31109, Shreveport, Louisiana 71130, with at least the following information:

  1. Name, service address, and social security number of individual requesting assistance;
  2. Account number;
  3. Amount the agency is requesting City to pay for the individual;
  4. Last time individual received assistance from any agency through the SWAP; and
  5. Signature of authorized agency representative which confirms the applicant’s information has been verified and approved according to all criteria listed above.
  6. All revisions should be initiated.
  7. Customers that have more than one account where assistance is granted should be listed in sequence.

If the person responsible for the bill cannot make the application for assistance because of sickness, or other valid reason, the agency may allow an authorized representative to make the application. 

Special consideration shall be given to a person referred by another social service agency.

A person should be notified that he/she will not be assisted until a decision is made.  If a decision cannot be made immediately and the water may be disconnected before a decision is made, the Agency should present the Department of Water and Sewerage – Customer Service Division the authorized documentation to reestablish or request delay of the disconnection for a reasonable period of time pending a determination of the customer’s eligibility for the SWAP.