Shreveport City Court
PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SHREVEPORT CITY COURT JUDGES
October 28, 2020
NOTICE OF EMERGENCY CLOSURE
On Thursday, October 29th, 2020, Shreveport City Court will be closed for a complete sanitation service. Any litigants who had court scheduled for Oct 29th, will receive a notice from the Clerk's Office with a new court date.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Shreveport City Court Changes Traffic Citation Procedure
Due to COVID-19, Shreveport City Court has made changes to the way it handles traffic citations. The Court recognizes the many challenges the pandemic has caused for the citizens of Shreveport. To mitigate some of these difficulties for our citizens, Shreveport City Court has adopted changes to our court schedules and our business practices regarding traffic citations.
Beginning immediately, law enforcement issuing traffic citations within the jurisdiction of Shreveport City Court will now provide citizens with a date approximately three months after the violation date. That date will no longer be a court date, but a deadline by which the citizen must address their traffic citation with the court.
Citizens will have the following options to handle that citation prior to the deadline date.
1. Citizens may pay the fine(s) and cost(s) of the violation in full without appearing in court. This can be done online, 24 hours a day at www.shreveportlatix.com or appear in person at the violation bureau at Shreveport City Court between the hours of 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
2. Citizens who wish to contest their citation at trial MUST call Shreveport City Court at (318) 673-5830 to schedule a court date. The citizen will be given options to select a Monday morning, Friday morning and Friday afternoon as a court date.
3. Citizens who do not wish to contest their citations at trial or who are cited for a violation deemed COURT MANDATORY, as listed on the back of the citation, may attend any night court session any Monday at 5:30 PM at Shreveport City Court beginning July 6, 2020. No trials will be held during night court sessions.
Citizens who received a citation with a court date which is on or after July 1, 2020, that date is no longer a court appearance date. It is now the deadline date by which citizens must address the citation with the court using the options as detailed in numbers 1-3 above.
For citizens who fail to pay the citation or schedule a court date by the deadline date on the citation, a warrant may be issued for their arrest.
The benefits for the citizens of the City of Shreveport from these changes are wide ranging.
The average amount of time a citizen has to handle their traffic matters has more than doubled. This change will immediately give these citizens 12 weeks to budget and prepare for potential financial costs associated with the citation.
Citizens will no longer be locked into a court date given at the time of the offense. Flexibility in scheduling their own date with the court or attending any of the weekly night court sessions should alleviate many concerns they may have regarding work, appointments or travel schedules.
The reduction of Traffic dockets during the daily schedule for the Court will decrease the number of citizens required to enter the courthouse. This will provide considerable relief to overcrowding issues related to social distancing requirements.
By freeing up court resources on Traffic dockets, the Court may now utilize those resources to more efficiently process the influx of civil matters which have been on hold for several months. This should reduce waiting times for court dates for all citizens and business owners utilizing Shreveport City Court.
Shreveport City Court Judges
- Division A - Judge R. Lee Irvin
- Division B - Judge Brian H. Barber, Sr.
- Division C - Judge Pammela Lattier
- Division D - Judge Sheva M. Sims
Guide To Practice
In order to assist litigants and attorneys using the Shreveport City Court, the court has created a Guide to Practice. This document is not meant to be a definitive statement of the law nor may it be cited to the court as support for any position. This document is merely a tool to be utilized to assist litigants and attorneys in access to the court. Legal citations are provided to assist litigants and attorneys in their quest to determine applicable law and procedure.
The following dates have been designated legal holidays and all court offices will be closed thereon.
|Wednesday||January 1, 2020
||January 20, 2020
||Martin Luther King’s Day
||February 17, 2020
|Tuesday||February 25, 2020||Mardi Gras|
||April 10, 2020
||May 25, 2020
|Friday||July 3, 2020
||September 7, 2020
||November 3, 2020
|Wednesday||November 11, 2020||Veterans' Day|
||November 26, 2020
|Friday||November 27, 2020||Thanksgiving Holiday|
|Thursday||December 24, 2020||Christmas Eve|
|Friday||December 25, 2020
|Thursday||December 31, 2020||New Year's Eve|