Louisiana Law protects adult aged 60 or older from act or omission resulting in physical or emotional abuse and neglect, inflicted by caregivers and from self-neglect by an individual. Louisiana law also protects seniors from acts of financial exploitation and extortion.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR.
* Physical action, such as pushing, hitting, restraining an elder;
* Emotional and verbal intimidation, such as screaming, threatening, insulting and elder;
* Withdrawal or Isolation by an elder;
* Sexual exploitation, particularly threats or action against and elder without their consent;
* Neglect, such as withholding of medicine, medical care, food, personal care, utilities, daily necessities, or over medication, or self-neglect to the point of danger;
* Financial extortion or exploitation, such as theft or misuse of money, property or possessions of the elder.
Elderly Protective Services is a safety net for elder adults. Protective services are available through EPS Headquarters within the Office of Elderly Affairs in Baton Rouge and through seven regional offices.
WHO TO CALL
To make a report or for more information, call: State Toll- Free Abuse
Hotline EPS Main Office GOEA ,1-800-259-4990 or 225-342-9722.
Shreveport call: 1-800-259-5284 or 318-676-5200. Fax: 318-676-5212
Louisiana Revised Statute 14:403.2, passed in 1992, requires all citizens to report cases of suspected neglect or abuse of elderly. It also grants civil and criminal immunity to any citizen reporting in good faith.
DHH/ Bureau of protective services provides protection for Disabled Adults ages 18-59 from abuse and neglect. For more information call: 1-800-898-4910 or 225-922-2250.